Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lemon Verbena Tisane

Lemon Verbena Tisane
I adore lemon verbena. It smells like candy. Like lemon candy. I add it to fresh-brewed iced tea. I infuse simple syrup with it to sweeten black tea (hot or iced). I harvest it and dry it to use during the winter when the plant is dormant. I use peppermint leaves in the very same ways.

Last year when we moved, we brought some of our plants and trees with us, but had to leave a lot behind and gave still others away. Of the plants we kept, most were Hubs' favorite roses and Japanese maples. I insisted on bringing only a few, among them were my potted peppermint and my lemon verbena: my two favorite "sweet" herbs. Both are real troopers; surviving each winter for the past three years, barely clinging on to life and battling back each spring. You can chop off as much as you need and they just shrug it off as if to say "I needed a trim anyway" or "You want a piece of me? Bring it on Lady!"  They're tough that way. But they're really kind of sweet. Either one would make a lovely tisane. (I even think M. Poirot would approve.)  Here's how....
Tisane: A drink made from herbs steeped in hot water. Commonly referred to as herbal tea even though it does not contain any tea leaves. Pronounced tee-sahn.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!