Monday, June 1, 2009

My Marinade Formula

As it is officially outdoor bbq season... and because my sister asked me for it... I'm posting the "formula" I use for marinading meats that are headed for the grill.

Why "formula" and not recipe, you may be asking. Well, take a peek at the ingredients list on your favorite marinade bottles and you'll see that you probably have all that stuff already at home. Why spend more money and (almost as importantly) give up shelf space for something you've already got? Yeah, I couldn't come up with a good reason either.

How to Use the Formula
: Add at least one (1) item out of every category to a large zipper-lock bag or container. You can use more than one item from any of the categories (I usually only use one "Salt" ingredient though). . .

SWEET: Sugar, Brown Sugar, Honey, Maple Syrup, Jam or Preserves

HOT: Black Pepper, Dijon (or any other) Mustard, Cayenne, etc.

SOUR/ACID*: Lemon Juice, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Wine, Sherry, Whiskey

FAT: Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Butter

SALT: Soy Sauce, Teriyaki, Sea Salt or Kosher Salt

Optional ADD-INS: Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Onion, Garlic, etc.

To Marinate: Turn meat periodically in the mixture until it's time to cook. I like to marinate things for no less than 4 and no more than 8 hours.

Note: This is not an exact science. Amounts will vary depending on the quantity of meat, what ingredients are on hand, and the dominant flavor (if any) desired.

*Only occasionally have I used vinegar for the "sour/acid" element, and then only in small quantities or in quick marinades. I find that it can affect the texture of the meat otherwise.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!