Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Saying Yes! to December (and Norwegian Waffles)


Haven’t been around here much lately. This %#&@! year was letting me know it wasn’t going to go quietly away. September was transitional, like that carton of milk you have to ask your housemate to smell because something about it doesn't seem quite right. October was particularly awful – all tricks and no treats. November got an extra emphasis on its first syllable and shouted “NO!” a lot… or maybe that was me?

But here we are now in December already! Will things continue as they have been or turn around and change their tune? It's too soon to tell. The month is still young even if the year isn’t. I'm going to do my best to be positive. I dearly want this month to say “Yes!” a lot. Heck, I'd be probably be happy with a "maybe" here and there. Yes! I would.

In order to kick things off on a positive note, I made some waffles last weekend. Not just any waffles, Norwegian Waffles. But since I’m all about the Yes! this month, I’m calling them Yes-wegian waffles (Yes! I know it’s silly... Yes! I don't care).

I’ve never gotten the knack of Norwegian Pancakes and have long since stopped attempting them. But Norwegian Waffles? Yes! Yes, I can (and so can you)! They are easy-peasy and are especially festive and appropriate this time of year as they are delicately scented with cardamom and Christmastime. Two of my favorite things.

My hubby, though half-Norwegian, preferred them with butter and maple syrup* while I really enjoyed eating them the Norwegian way: with a smear of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) and a dab of berry preserves. Ultimately though, they're waffles... what's not to like, right? I'm making them again today. Yes, I really am!

So, with thanks and apologies to Arne & Carlos, whose recipe I fiddled with, here is the "how-to" in case you want to try them...


Norwegian Waffles
(aka: Yes-wegian Waffles)
…adapted from the Arne & Carlos: Norwegian Waffles podcast

1-2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cardamom
1 tsp baking powder
1 good pinch of fine sea salt
1-2/3 cups half-n-half  
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Whisk dry ingredients together.
  2. Add wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
  3. Let batter sit for 30 minutes.
  4. A few minutes before the time is up, begin preheating your waffle maker.
  5. Ladle enough batter into your preheated waffle maker to make one waffle. Amount will vary depending on your maker.
  6. Repeat until all batter is used.
Notes: The original recipe made twelve waffles. My waffle maker yielded eight with this recipe. Your results will undoubtedly vary. Any uneaten waffles can be reheated the next day or frozen for next weekend! Or... use leftovers to make ice cream sandwiches! Yes, please!

Optimistically Yours,

Steph

 

* I love maple syrup, but it has such a strong presence that the lovely (and pricey!) cardamom just gets lost.

PS... this blog post was brought to you by the punctuation mark that I try not to over-use, but is just so loaded with potential positivity I couldn't help myself!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. Those sound lovely! I wonder how topping them German style aka powdered sugar butter and lemon would be. Bring your waffle maker for the holidays 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! You know, I'm not sure, but it's easy enough to find out. I might play with using lemon zest somehow instead of the juice. Another idea would be to add cardamom to your Dutch Baby batter (which is what I'm guessing you mean by "German style"). So many yummy things to try! I don't think you can go too wrong with any of it.

      Delete

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!