Friday, October 14, 2011

Delish Dish: Baked Oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal with Berries
The truth... I made this fantastic baked oatmeal and photographed it a couple of months ago.  We're talking July people. It was summer and though we had an unseasonably cool one, the rest of the country was sizzling hot. So, I thought I'd put off posting about it until the seasons changed and things started to cool off.

The whole truth... right now, I don't feel like writing or cooking or photographing. At all. I could point to a dozen different factors that aligned to produce this current state of apathy but really, it just is what it is, and I've got to work my way through it. It's a good thing I had this oatmeal in my back pocket... so to speak.

Nothing but the truth... if I had the ingredients on hand, I would make this Baked Oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow. Or Sunday. Even feeling the way I do right now, I would rally just long enough to get this into the oven. It really is that good. Honest.


So... if a hot and hearty breakfast with berries, nuts, bananas, maple, cinnamon, and vanilla sounds like it'll hit the spot and make you feel autumn-y all over, then do yourself and your loved ones a favor and make this for breakfast soon... maybe even this weekend.

Baked Oatmeal* from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day cookbook (page 44)
...or find the recipe here at Lottie + Doof

My Notes: I've actually misplaced my notes for this (probably since it was so long ago). Sigh. When I find them, I'll post them here. I do remember that I subbed frozen mixed berries (thawed and drained) for the fresh berries called for in the recipe. 

*This totally needs to be renamed or at least have an adjective in front of it. It's so much more than just "baked oatmeal". The layer of bananas on the bottom of the pan are nothing short  of genius. They're like buried treasure. Make sure you get a bit of everything in each bite.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I keep seeing recipes for baked oatmeal popping up. This looks like something I'd like to try, and I think a nice tweak would be to use canned pumpkin now that it is all about fall flavors. Your profile picture is adorable by the way, I love gnomes haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Courtney: Swapping pumpkin in for an autumn version of this would be great! Add some pumpkin pie spices... YUM!

    *Hubby and I were gnomes for Halloween :P

    ReplyDelete

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!