Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Big Batch Of Brownies


I'm afraid of brownies. No, not the little ones that sell cookies, or the even smaller ones that inhabit ancient forests. No, I'm afraid of the chocolaty baked good. Specifically, I'm afraid of baking brownies.

There's a fine line you must dance when baking brownies and my balance isn't too good. Bake them too long and you end up with square hockey pucks; not long enough and you end up with chocolaty goop. The key is to take them out of the oven at that precise moment, when they still look undercooked, but actually... aren't. Sure. No problem.

A good brownie is worth taking the chance for though... worth facing your fears over. And if confrontation and repetition are the keys to conquering fears... well, I'm willing (especially if there's a big glass of cold milk nearby)...
And while we're on the subject of Brownies... 
It's Girl Scout Cookie time again, and while I always try to support them*, some years it just isn't possible. I feel bad when I can't, and vow to buy extra boxes in the future, but I still occasionally get a craving for overpriced cookies that I would never buy in a store (even if I could). What's a former Brownie/Girl Scout to do when times are tough and money scarce? Make my own! You can too with this recipe from 101 Cookbooks for a homemade version of one of my all-time favorites...
Did you know...
You can get all the good feelings of supporting the Girl Scouts and avoid weight gain at the same time? That's right! You can buy cookies for the troops through Girl Scout Operation Cookie Drop. Ask your nearest Girl Scout for more info. Can't find one? Try here.

*Girl Scout cookie-hawkers are the only people I will give money to who come to my door selling stuff. Seriously, it's our house rule. If you're not an 8-12 yr. old in uniform with a cookie chart in hand and a parent at the end of the driveway.... you're just out of luck, buster.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog...what a great idea. I'll be back to explore more, but it looks like we like a lot of the same recipe blogs...101 cookbooks and joy the baker are two of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krissa... thanks for stopping by! Joy and 101 are truly wonderful and make such amazing food. Check out 'At Home & At Sea' and 'What Katie Ate' (links are in my side bar), I think you might like them too. I found your blog btw, through another great gal/blog... Crunchy Betty!

    ReplyDelete

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!