Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Thyme Biscuits

I just received the ultimate compliment: "OMG! These biscuits are wonderful!"  And this was from a man who grew up eating biscuits as a regular feature at dinner time. To say I was pleased as punch would be an understatement.  I thought they were pretty darned great also, it's just that I don't have a lot to compare them with.

My mom didn't make biscuits with dinner. There would be rice or potatoes or corn, but there was never more than one "starch" on the plate (nowadays they're called carbs). For fancy holiday dinners she might make heavenly light and buttery dinner rolls, but the only biscuits I remember having were on the few occasions that we went out to pick up a bucket of fried chicken (something else she never made, incidentally).

Regardless of a childhood deprived of biscuits with dinner, I grew up with a deep and abiding love for all breads. My mom used to win prizes for her home baked breads: pumpernickels, challahs, whole-grains, etc. Coming home to that aroma after school was more than enough to make up for the absence of biscuits.

Now that I'm an adult and can choose what I eat, I realize the sense in mom's "one starch" rule. The only difference is that sometimes that one starch is going to be a couple of these amazingly aromatic Lemon Herb Biscuits. Assuming I can wrestle a few away from the man in my life!


...have I mentioned how fantastic they are with BBQ?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. These sound so, so amazing. I have sordid affairs with thyme. (And there's a shop across the street called the Thymekeeper - it happens to be my favorite shop in Manitou, and it's closing!)

    Must make these soon. And I love the story about your mom. All those homemade breads must've been so ... homey. My heart is warmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie: The Thymekeeper? Great name! I come from a long line of punners. I almost titled this post Summer Thyme And The Biscuits Are Easy :P

    And yes, the smell of bread baking is completely and utterly transporting.

    ReplyDelete

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!