Sunday, February 21, 2010

Corn Muffins x 2


Dorie's Corny & Savory Corn Muffins
Sometimes things just fall into place so nicely. A couple of weeks ago I signed up to bring cornbread to a potluck. I thought I'd make it in muffin tins as it would be easier and neater to serve and eat that way. Then last week I received a Valentine's gift of the Dorie Greenspan cookbook I've been wanting. Guess what was in the first chapter? Not just one, but two different corn muffin recipes! Of course, I made both. Some things are just meant to be. Corny but true.

Corniest Corn Muffins
from page 4 of Baking: From My Home To Yours, Dorie Greenspan, 2006
(also found at the Serious Eats blog)

Notes: FORGOT TO PUT THE ROSEMARY IN! GRRR. It was even sitting out on the counter (sigh). It was "optional", but I really wanted to opt for it. Used only the one cup of canned corn called for, so I could put extra in the other muffins and not have to open another can. Ha. I didn't feel like peeling the shaker lid off of the nutmeg, so instead of a pinch, I just put in a shake. Baked for 15 min, then 3, then 2 (20 min. total). They were turning golden on the top but were on the light side when taken out of the pan to cool. Lovely aroma. They tasted sweet, but not too sweet. Really quite nice, I'm very happy with them.

Savory Corn & Pepper Muffins
from page 6 of Baking: From My Home To Yours, Dorie Greenspan, 2006
(also found with another good review at Ezra Pound Cake)

Notes: Opted out of the jalepeƱos. Used the rest of the (15.25 oz.) can of corn (1/4 cup + 3 Tblsp). The batter looks fantastic with flecks of bright red, yellow and green in it. Smells good too. Baked for 20 min, then 2 more (22 min. total). Didn't bake up as big as the other muffins, and came out a bit darker too. I love the flavor of these. Perfect for chili, gumbo and the like. Very pleased with both recipes.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!