Monday, November 22, 2010

Everything's Better With Browned-Butter

Normally, I am not a superstitious person. Black cats can cross my path all they want (here-kitty-kitty-kitty!). When I find a penny, I'll pick it up with no expectations for the outcome of the rest of my day. I flagrantly disregard chain-letters. Rubbing a rabbit's foot only appeals to me if it is still attached to the rest of the sweet fluffy bunny. I have opened more than my fair share of umbrellas indoors.  And the only bad luck I ever got from breaking a mirror is that I had to clean up broken glass and buy a new mirror... but that's not luck. If I broke a wine glass or a crystal vase, it would have the same outcome. That's just cause and effect, action and reaction.

So I was looking to use up more limes the other day, when what popped up on one of my favorite blogs? Browned-Butter Cranberry Lime Muffins. Was it fate? Destiny? A sign? Does it matter? Not really. I did feel however, that the timing was too perfect to ignore (and they kinda sounded delicious)... I needed to make those muffins. Everyone needs to make these muffins. Here's why... the butter browning on the stove smelled so out-of-this-world good. Seriously, why don't they put browned-butter in everything?

You know how they say it's a good idea to bake cookies when selling a house to help it smell homey and inviting and thus promote the sale? ...well, they should just brown some butter instead. Sold to the highest bidder!

You know how you can simmer a pot of water on the stove with cinnamon sticks and cloves and other whole spices, and it makes the house smell so winter-y warm and wonderful? ...well, the aroma of browned-butter should be nominated as the holiday scent for the 21st century.

You know how my hubby is always wondering why they don't just make cookie-scented perfume for women? No? Trust me, he does (usually when I'm baking cookies) ...well, if they made a men's after-shave with the scent of browned-butter, it could be dangerously distracting for all women everywhere.


Notes: I didn't have any fresh cranberries so I put 1 cup of dried cranberries in a bowl, covered them with liquid (Grand Marnier if you're wondering, but you could use almost anything, even water), let them soak for a few hours or overnight, then drain. I also didn't have whole milk, so I used half-and-half. And yeah, I'm still trying to use up that green decorative sugar.  

True-life dialog from our breakfast table.. 
Me: Here, try this. 
Hubs (taking a bite): Mmmm! Where is this recipe from?
Me: Joy The Baker, of course. 
Hubs (taking another bite): You need to make more of these... and we should adopt her.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!